Nigeria: One killed in clash between Davido’s security and alleged thugs
By Zuleihat Owuiye, Nigeria
A 60-year-old man was shot dead in Osogbo on Wednesday following a clash between security operatives attached to Afrobeats star Davido and suspected political thugs outside the Ataoja’s palace.
The violence erupted shortly after Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke, accompanied by his nephew David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, to celebrate his victory after receiving his certificate of return from INEC.
According to the Osun State Police Command, trouble began when a known political figure, Adebayo Taoreed, popularly called “Small Rugged,” attempted to gain access to Davido.
Police spokesperson DSP Abiodun Ojelabi said Davido’s security detail resisted the attempt, which drew the attention of more members of Taoreed’s group.
“The incident attracted more of his cult gang members who attempted to override the security detail which led to gun exchange,” Ojelabi stated.
Governor Adeleke’s security team responded by firing shots into the air and deploying tear gas to disperse the crowd. The confrontation temporarily blocked the palace entrance before the operatives overpowered the group and the governor’s convoy left the premises with Davido.
Davido later addressed the incident on X, writing: “It was a fight outside the palace that had nothing to do with us! The pple love excellency!”
After the confrontation at the palace, the group reportedly moved toward the Ayepe area. It was there that 60-year-old Tajudeen Yusuf was allegedly shot in the Ita-Olokan area of Osogbo.
Police confirmed the killing and said an investigation has commenced. The Commissioner of Police in charge of elections, Samuel Etaifo, said resources would be deployed to track down the suspects responsible.
The visit to the palace was part of traditional post-election thanksgiving following Governor Adeleke’s re-election. The event drew a large crowd of supporters, which may have heightened tensions in the area.
Eyewitnesses said the shooting lasted for a few minutes and caused panic among residents and traders around the palace. Some shops hurriedly closed as people ran for safety.
The incident adds to growing concerns about the presence of armed political groups during major political events in Osun. Royal institutions and civil society groups have previously called for stricter security around palaces and public gatherings to prevent such clashes.
DSP Ojelabi confirmed that the command is treating the case as a homicide and cult-related violence. He urged residents with useful information to come forward to aid the investigation.
“We are on top of the situation and will ensure that those responsible are brought to justice,” he said.
The palace has not issued an official statement, but sources said the Ataoja expressed concern over the violence occurring so close to the royal institution.
Meanwhile, Governor Adeleke’s office has called for calm, urging residents to avoid reprisals and allow security agencies to do their work.
The killing of Mr. Yusuf marks another violent episode linked to political activities in Osogbo this election season. Police say patrols have been intensified around the palace and other flashpoints in the state capital.



