Nigeria: Nigerian Army reinforces Kebbe, vows to flush out Lakurawa terrorists
By Zuleihat Owuiye, Nigeria
SOKOTO — The Nigerian Army has ramped up security operations in Kebbe Local Government Area of Sokoto State following fresh concerns over attacks by the Lakurawa terrorist group and rising tension along the Sokoto-Kebbi border.
The move comes after a reported attack on Ungushi community that heightened fears among residents and triggered calls for more military presence around Kebbe town and neighboring villages.
On Sunday, the General Officer Commanding, GOC, 8 Division Nigerian Army, Major General Bemgha Paul Koughna, visited the Forward Operating Base in Kebbe and other affected communities to assess the security situation.
In a statement on Monday, Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division/Sector 2 Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba, said the visit was to evaluate troop deployment and prevent terrorists from establishing a foothold in the area.
During the visit, Koughna met with community leaders and residents to hear their concerns first-hand.
He assured them that troops remained fully deployed and alert, and that the Army would not allow terrorist elements to threaten lives, property, or livelihoods.
“The Army will respond swiftly and decisively to emerging threats,” Koughna said. “We will deny terrorist groups the opportunity to consolidate their presence in Kebbe and neighboring communities.”
Following the assessment, the Army reviewed and adjusted its security architecture, with added focus on vulnerable communities considered susceptible to infiltration and attacks.
The GOC urged residents not to panic, saying security forces were committed to protecting the area. But he stressed that military action alone would not defeat terrorism without public support.
Koughna appealed to residents, traditional rulers, and stakeholders to provide timely and credible intelligence on suspicious movements, unfamiliar persons, and other activities that could threaten community peace.
“Such cooperation is critical to the early detection, disruption and dismantling of terrorist networks before they execute their plans,” he said.
He added that the Army would maintain a robust presence in Kebbe and continue adapting strategies to counter evolving threats. He also warned criminal elements that the area would not be surrendered to them.
The renewed posture comes amid growing worries over Lakurawa activities in parts of the North-West, especially communities along the Sokoto-Kebbi border corridor. The group has been linked to attacks, kidnappings, and attempts to establish camps in remote border areas.
A Kebbe resident, who spoke by telephone on condition of anonymity for security reasons, claimed that 27 people with gunshot injuries had been evacuated from a nearby forest and were receiving treatment at an undisclosed hospital in the state. The claim could not be independently verified as of press time.
The Army urged residents to remain calm and continue supporting ongoing operations with relevant information.
With troops now repositioned and intelligence operations intensified, the military says its priority is to secure Kebbe, prevent further attacks, and ensure residents can return to their farms and daily activities without fear.



