Nigeria: Tension in Ondo APC as armed thugs beat state chairman, disrupt stakeholders’ meeting
By Zuleihat Owuiye, Mamos Nigeria
Akure, Feb 20, 2026 — A stakeholders’ meeting of the All Progressives Congress (APC) at the party’s secretariat in Akure was violently disrupted on Wednesday by armed political thugs, leaving several party leaders injured, including state chairman Engineer Ade Adetimehin.
According to eyewitnesses, the thugs arrived with cutlasses and firearms, stormed the conference hall, and assaulted attendees. Adetimehin said he was dragged from the hall to the ground floor, beaten, and robbed of two phones, a wristwatch, and ₦210,000 cash. His driver was also beaten into a coma and later revived at a private hospital.
Other party leaders attacked include Ademola Ijabiyi, Saka Yusuf, Otito Atikase, Muyiwa Asagunla, Akin Sowore, Rasheed Badmus, Yetunde Adeyanju, Sola Ajisafe, Dr. Koka Ademujimi and Chief Bode Sunmonu. Many sustained injuries and were taken to hospitals for treatment.
Adetimehin recounted that the meeting had been arranged with a committee from Abuja to discuss modalities for the upcoming ward congress. He said he informed Governor Lucky Aiyedatiwa of the meeting and of rumors of thugs planning to disrupt it. The governor allegedly assured him that no violence would be allowed, yet minutes later the thugs invaded, shouting the chairman’s name and demanding that no congress take place.
Former Commissioner for Community Development and Cooperative Services, Mrs. Yetunde Adeyanju, accused the governor of being behind the attack, claiming the thugs shouted “Aiyedatiwa sent us” and threatened anyone who mentioned a congress. Other party figures, including Otito Atikase and Olumuyiwa Asagunla, echoed similar allegations, warning that the governor’s alleged involvement could plunge Ondo politics into dangerous thuggery.
The state government, through Information and Orientation Commissioner Hon. Idowu Ajanaku, denied any involvement, describing the allegations as “malicious and politically motivated.” He said the governor was neither aware of nor connected to the meeting and could not have sanctioned any act of thuggery, emphasizing the administration’s zero‑tolerance for violence.
The Ondo APC, via its Director of Media and Publicity Steve Otaloro, called the incident “isolated” and unrelated to the forthcoming congress, blaming an internal misunderstanding and “unscrupulous elements.” He said the party has launched an internal review and thanked Governor Aiyedatiwa for quickly deploying security to restore order.
DSP Jimoh Abayomi said a distress call prompted the deployment of operatives who restored calm. One injured person was taken to hospital, and tactical teams have been stationed at the secretariat while investigations continue.



